Bone and Joint Specialists FAQ's
Below you will find frequently asked questions (FAQ's) with answers about appointment scheduling, facilities, insurance, billing, physical therapy rehabilitation, orthopedic services and procedures. If you have a question that is not answered here, please don't hesitate to Contact Us online or call (248) 673-0500.
Click on topic to view more information.
Monday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday-Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Welcome to Bone and Joint Specialties. We realize you have a choice for your medical care and we are pleased you have chosen us to provide your care.
Please be advised that our offices house three physicians, an ambulatory surgery center and a physical therapy center. Due to services being rendered in three separate areas, the wait times vary based on the number of patients being treated in that particular area. Please do not be alarmed if someone who comes in after you is called back before you as they may be being seen in a different area. As long as you sign in, our receptionist will process your paperwork and get you in an exam room as quickly as possible.
It is very important that you notify our receptionist of any address changes, phone number changes, or change in insurance before you are seen.
- Call Bone and Joint Specialists at (248) 673-0500 ext 14 to speak to the front desk receptionist, OR complete the Appointment Request Form online.
- New Patient? (Please have your insurance card and primary care physician name available.)
- You will need to bring any X-rays or test films (MRI, CT, Bone Scan, etc.) including the report with you on the day of your appointment. You may have your primary doctor fax a copy of your test reports to (248) 673-6077.
- Emergent and Urgent problems, during normal business hours-please call (248) 673-0500, press 14 for the front desk and your Doctor will be contacted.
- After hours - you may contact the number you were given by the hospital or you may call St. Joes Mercy Oakland and if indicated, the doctors will be contacted.
Please call us at least 24 hours in advance to cancel or reschedule your appointment. Cancellations less than 24-hours are subject to a cancellation fee. Please speak with our office staff if there are any concerns regarding our policy. Call Bone and Joint Specialists at (248) 673-0500 ext 14 to speak to the front desk receptionist
If you are running late let us know. We may be able to see another person ahead of you or reschedule you for another day. We value your time and we take pride in our efficiency.
If you are scheduled for an appointment, arrive at least 20-minutes ahead of your scheduled reservation so we can complete all paperwork before your appointment time. Don't forget to put your cell phone on vibrate or off during your visit.
Your first visit is very important. A little planning ahead will help make your visit timely. Click here to view our new patient page.
Please be aware if you call our office with a clinical question, our physicians and nursing staff are in clinic during the day and cannot be called away from patients to speak to you. Our receptionist will get your message to our clinical staff and they will return your call as soon as possible.
NOTE: if you have recently had surgery, please notify our receptionist of any problem you are experiencing and she will immediately notify a member of our clinical staff.
Please call (248) 673-0500 ext 26. to request a copy of your Medical records.
If I need my X-rays, how do I get them?
- Please call our office at (248) 673-0500 ext 26.
- Please allow 5-7 business days prior to your appointment with the other Dr/facility.
- We mail all X-rays directly to the Dr/facility.
Who do I call for billing related questions?
Please contact our billing department at 248-673-0500 ext 19.
In order for our office to submit an insurance claim, you are required to present your insurance information and valid photo identification at the time of check-in. You are responsible for any co-payment or deductible at each visit, in accordance with your policy.
If you do not have insurance, payment is due in full at the time services are rendered. Please check with our office about payment plan options.
We accept cash, check, debit card and most major credit cards.
What Insurance Companies do you participate with?
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan - including all PPO plans
- Medicare - including all Medicare Senior plans
- Blue Care Network - with referral
- Priority Health
- United Health Care
This is a primary list of the insurance plans Bone and Joint Specialists accepts for patients. Please contact us in regards to additional plans.
Worker's compensation: Must have written authorization faxed to the office prior to your appointment. The Authorization should include worker's compensation carrier name, address, phone #, claim #, and adjuster name.
Automobile: Must bring Medical Claim Verification Letter containing; Policy # or claim #, agent name, and billing address.
Referral Authorization: Some insurance plans require the patient to obtain a referral authorization from their primary care provider prior to receiving services from a specialist. If your plan requires a referral authorization, services will only be provided if the referral authorization is at our office at the time of your appointment. You will have the option to sign a waiver accepting financial responsibility for services not covered due to the lack of referral authorization. If referral authorization is an issue, we can reschedule your appointment.
If you have any questions, please contact our billing department at 248-673-0500 ext 19.
How long will it take to get the tests or treatment scheduled and/or authorized?
- You will be given a list of facilities. Please choose the one that is most convenient. Call the facility and schedule the exam. You will be given a prescription to take with you and any necessary X-rays.
- Schedule your follow up appointment as soon as you know the date of your test.
- Precertification's/Authorizations will be obtained by our office
If I need surgery, what do I need to do?
- Your physician will give the paperwork to the surgery scheduler.
- At check-out you will be given all the necessary information.
- If you need medical clearance prior to surgery, the scheduler will advise you to contact your primary physician to set up your appointment.
- The surgery scheduler will get authorization from your insurance plan.
- Bone and Joint Specialists offers CareCredit.
- This service allows you to pay over time instead of a lump sum prior to treatment.
- To learn more about or apply for CareCredit click here.
Pay your Bill Online
- Bone and Joint Specialists offers the convenience of paying your doctor's office bills online.
- Use our secure bill pay tool to quickly and easily make a payment.
- To use our Online Bill Pay please click here.
If you have any other questions please call Bone and Joint Specialists at (248) 673-0500.
We look forward to working with you!
Additional Rochester Hills Location for Dr. Bartholomew
Rochester Hills, MI Location
Dr. Bartholomew will see patients in a new Rochester Hills, MI location in addition to his primary location in Waterford, MI.
1349 S. Rochester Road, Suite 225
Rochester Hills, MI 48307